Re: What really happened 65 Ma ago (not a joke)

<<The only mammals at that time were very small and at least most of them
were capable of burrowing, right?>>

There were some at up to fox sort of sizes.  They could be termed small
compared to twelve metre dinosaurs, but I think 'very small' would be
overdoing (or underdoing) it.  I'm about 1 metre 70 and capable of
burrowing.

Among the larger latest Cretaceous mammals known are Didelphodon vorax (
http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/stago.htm#didelphodon ) and Schowalteria
clemensi( http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/zalambda.htm#schowalteria ).
Patagonia housed some reasonably sized dryolestoideans as well, but various
representatives are still awaiting descriptions.  (Dryolestids and the like
are more usually known as small insectivores from the Upper Jurassic of the
northern hemisphere, but Patagonia seems to have been hosting some kind of
freaky Jurassic Revival Festival at the time.)
Cheers,
Trevor

Mesozoic Eucynodonts
http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/meseucaz.htm
The Mesozoic - much more than just the dinosaur