Re: New Zealand's Giant Eagle Showed Rapid Size Gain

At 11:07 AM 1/6/2005, John Bois wrote:
Forgive me if I misunderstand, but I thought the authors were not talking
about _competition_ for the eagle.  Rather, they were saying there were no
predators _of_ the eagle.

Well, there are many oceanic islands with endemic hawks that probably lack native predators but have not become giants (eg Hawaii, Fiji). The difference in NZ (as I see it) was the presence of large, heavy-bodied prey, coupled perhaps with climate (I say the latter because, for example, there seem to be no giant birds of prey known from places like, say, New Caledonia, which also featured at least one large flightless bird).

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court