Re: What really happened 65 Ma ago (not a joke)

Trevor Dykes wrote:

There were some at up to fox sort of sizes.  They could be termed small
compared to twelve metre dinosaurs, but I think 'very small' would be
overdoing (or underdoing) it.  I'm about 1 metre 70 and capable of
burrowing.

I'm guessing you don't burrow habitually - just when the mood takes you. ;-)

Among the larger latest Cretaceous mammals known are Didelphodon vorax (
http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/stago.htm#didelphodon ) and Schowalteria
clemensi( http://home.arcor.de/ktdykes/zalambda.htm#schowalteria ).

Australia had some monotremes of around this size - but they lived much earlier in the Cretaceous period. Some may have been aquatic. This may also be true of the stagodontids too.