Re: Help Needed for Madagascar Ankizy Fund [Humanitarian Dinosaurs in Action!]

A worthy cause, Andy.  If I may add an additional comment (which will be
almost on-topic):  The scale of environmental destruction on Madagascar
is unimaginable. Roughly 85% of the island's forests have been cut down;
the slash burned in the mistaken belief that the naked soil will create
productive farm land.  In an old _Natural History_ magazine article
(March, 1997 issue; the article on Rahonavis, Majungasaurus, and the
island's titanosaurs), Sampson, Krause and Forster briefly described the
local islander tradition of "slash and burn" land-clearing/agriculture.
In an ironic twist, this environmentally destructive practice creates
huge areas of blackened soil in which the bleach-white fossil bones are
easier to spot during paleo field surveys.

Currently (2004 data), reforestation is not keeping up with
deforestation.  Most of the remaining ~15% treed land is only
*semi*-protected in a national park.
With each rainy season, more precious Madagascarian topsoil is washed
into the Indian Ocean, and this loss has a direct negative effect on
sustainable food production. There are environmental education programs
currently in place in Madagascar, and reforestation programs are becoming
an important adjunct to foreign aid to the country.  IMHO, both of these
programs are obscenely under funded, and scientists, particularly those
who do research on the island, should take a greater role in getting out
the word about this disaster.  Even a short 30-second comment inserted
into a professional talk, or a comment inserted into classroom lecture,
will help to spread the word.

<pb> (who will now return ta thankin' 'bout dinersaurs)