Re: Moa references

The most recent reference on moa with a broad coverage is:

Worthy, T. H., & R. N. Holdaway. 2002. The Lost World of the Moa. Indiana
University Press.

    This book also covers all other terrestrial vertebrates from New Zealand
(mammals, birds, reptiles, frogs), often in quite glorious detail. In
regards to moa, it has a lot of detail on taxonomy, diet, etc. Moa taxonomy
has been fairly stable for a few years now, but has been confusing in the
past. The one area where it is, perhaps, deficient is in coverage of
human-moa interactions - you may want to track down another book for this.
One which I've seen recommended is:

    Anderson, A. 1989. Prodigious birds: Moas and moa hunting in prehistoric
New Zealand. Cambridge University Press.

    Unfortunately, I haven't read it yet myself, so I can't comment further.

    The only significant taxonomic change (and it's a doozy) since Worthy
and Holdaway is covered in:

Bunce, M., T. H. Worthy, T. Ford, W. Hoppitt, E. Willerslev, A. Drummond &
A. Cooper. 2003. Extreme reversed sexual size dimorphism in the extinct New
Zealand moa Dinornis. Nature 425: 172-175.

    in which what were thought to be separate species turned out to
different sexes of the one species showing the largest sexual size
dimorphism known from birds, with females nearly three times the size of
males. As a result, instead of three species differing in size found
throughout New Zealand, _Dinornis_ was divided into two species, one from
the North (_D. novaezealandiae_) and one from the South (_D. robustus_)
Islands. These two species were separated by mtDNA - I am not aware of any
osteological differences between them.

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor