Re: What really happened 65 Ma ago (not a joke)

John Bois (jbois@umd5.umd.edu) wrote:

<Cart before the horse: Mass extinction event occurred...best known
mechanism is radiation...birds must have been vulnerable...therefore, all
surviving birds must have found cover.>

  What is described here is not circular, wherein its premise would
provide the conclusion, and vice versa. Instead, this is just a just-so
story, an hypothesis to explain an event. Yet, still, no universal
explanation, which has been asked for in the past. In re: the fungal
spike, this has been indicated as the final means by which the Permian
Extinction was triggered, or rather than the fungal spike was the result
of the extinction. I do not think a fungal spike will indicate an event
prior to the extinction of mosasaurs, ammonites, plesiosaurs, pterosaurs,
and all non-avian dinosaurs at the time. John Bois continues to ignore the
other animals in the situation and if this is due to lack of research then
so be it, but aquatic, aerial, and terrestial life being wiped out as
finally as it was in these realms cannot have such a succinct explanation
as he has alluded to with regards to those avian groups that did die
versus pterosaurs. Instead, it is competition, previous dearh of species,
to explain the end of dinosaurs, with the bolide being the "final blow"
(or rather, as in the recent Sunda earthquake and the ensuing "killer"
tsunami), the effects arising from the impact; yet ignoring plesiosaurs,
ichthyosaurs, mosasaurs, ammonites....

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden