Re: What really happened 65 Ma ago (not a joke)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, David Marjanovic wrote:

> >> Firstly, almost all birds did die out.
> >
> > Unknown...Just the facts, Sir.
>
> OK. All known Cenozoic birds belong to Neornithes. In the Maastrichtian
> other groups, like Enantiornithes (*Avisaurus*) and whatever the
> non-ichthyornith of Maastricht was, still existed. This is consistent with
> only Neornithes surviving the impact...

But not consistent with the claim: "...almost all birds did die out."  We
don't know the number of existing neornithine species nor their
population sizes.  As far as anyone knows there may have been mass
survival of birds across the boundary.

> It's not a circle because the next question in the line follows: Is it
> plausible that enough birds had indeed found cover? Considering the fact
> that we're not talking about albatrosses or gastornithids but about,
> ecologically speaking, chickens and ducks, I think it is plausible.

But, what is not plausible is that there was such clear niche/behavioral
delineation such that no enantiornithines were similarly favored!