Re: New Zealand's Giant Eagle Showed Rapid Size Gain ???

What is the fossil record like for the Australian mini-eagle?  Not to play
devils advocate, but couldn't the australian eagle have been undergoing a size
squeeze the last few million years?  Or perhaps the common ancestor was in the
middle some where, with the two descendent linneages evolving in opposite
directions?  In that case the size change wouldn't be nearly as rapid,
(although still impressive).

Don't get me wrong, it's a sweet study either way, I'm just not sure that the
authors thought through all the possibilites when determining the rate of
evolutionary change.

Scott
--
Scott Hartman