Re: New Zealand's Giant Eagle Showed Rapid Size Gain

Quoting Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>:

> Christopher Taylor wrote:

> _Aptornis_ is deeply weird for other reasons.  Like many large
> island-dwelling birds, the adzebill has proven difficult to pin down
> phylogenetically.  Livezey (1998) put it in the Gruiformes, close to the
> kagu (_Rhynochetos_) [...]

It may be more a case of convergence but I couldn't help notice the outward
similarity between the weka* and the illustrations of the Adzebill**.
I think it would be more reasonable to assume that _Aptornis_ would be a giant
rail related to _Gallirallus_ but then again this is just some educated
guessing based on my knowledge.

Just my two cents,
Renato Santos

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weka