Re: Early mammals ate dinosaurs

Eric Allen wrote:

> Wasn't the holotype skull of _Archaeornithoides_
> chewed on by a small
> mammal?

haven't seen the paper, but couldn't that be due to scavenging?

Certainly. But this could also apply to _Repenomamus_. We don't know for certain if the juvenile psittacosaur was alive or dead when the mammal came up on it.

Ironically, the only time we know for sure that a long-extinct animal was a predator (i.e., attacking live prey) is when the intended prey survives the encounter, carrying injuries that subsequently heal imperfectly, leaving proof of the attack.