Re: What the Tsunami Dredged Up (off topic)

Despite Mr. Marjanovic's assertion, the Laws of Physics still function without his esteemed permission. The water receded, before the wave hit the beach.

DB

At 4:16 AM -0800 1/16/05, Christopher Collinson wrote:
From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>

In southeast Asia at least, this didn't happen, however. The... umm...
part
 of the wave with a positive height arrived first. This is clearly seen in
 the two or so videotapes that have been shown on TV.

What is the time span between when the water recedes from the beach and when the first wave breaks? I've heard that's it something like a couple hours, but I really don't know how accurate that is. Depending on the time between the two, it might not appear on the videotape footage.

I've read/heard  some accounts of where people were stuck out on boats when
the water started behaving strangely becoming all swirlly and what not,
which I am told is indicative of the water receding. Another report
supposedly has a young girl, who has just recently learned of Tsunamis at
school, warning her mother about  the receding water and thus being able to
evacuate the resort in time.