Re: What the Tsunami Dredged Up (off topic)

Predictability is comforting.

Yes. The water will recede first. It does with each and every wave hitting the beach. Children stand and watch the phenomena constantly when on holiday, dipping their toes in the sand.

Water recedes, in part, because of accommodation space being created by the rising of a wave as it begins to feel bottom and the wave form has no where to go but upward. Ergo, the larger the wave coming to shore, the farther out the water shall recede prior to arrival.

Hence: If the water goes way, way, way far away, exposing a whole lot of beach and previously water-covered nearshore sediments, then - RUN AWAY. Preferably - run uphill. Or don't - just stand there. I'll run. You do whatever you want. In case the concept is unclear - the larger the incoming wave, the more water that recedes prior to its arrival. Lots of water receding = BIG wave.