Re: What the Tsunami Dredged Up (off topic)

Biostrat (dinobabe@180com.net) wrote:

<Predictability is comforting.>

  But can be misleading.

<Yes. The water will recede first.>

<Water recedes, in part, because of accommodation space being created by
the rising of a wave as it begins to feel bottom and the wave form has no
where to go but upward. Ergo, the larger the wave coming to shore, the
farther out the water shall recede prior to arrival.>

  Observation of the mechanics offer a few anomalies to this argument, not
a refutation but a means by which to test this oft-cited argument of
reality. 1) Initial uplift of the sea floor at the quake epicenter causes
the initial displacement, at which point an accomodation is not required
for the increased flow of water in shallow marine areas. 2) Footage of the
initial breaking waves showed no recession of the water prior to repeated
breaking of the water; in such cases where it seemed water receeded, it
did so only by a few meters before the wave hit, and given the slope of
the land at nearly level, this recession involved an extremely low volume
of water to permit an argument of accomodating volume. 3) Ensuing tsunamis
from landslides use the initial deposition of sediment into the water as
the displacement effect, rather than any recession, and the wave height
shows virtually no corresponding recession from the shore prior to
crashing, as noted in wave-form generators testing the theory.

  I would like to see observation and studies backing up this oft-cited
observation, since it would seem to contradict various footage from SE
Asia.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden