Re: What the Tsunami Dredged Up (off topic)

Here is my collection.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/01/07/losing.family/index.html

'Come and look at the cool waves'

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (CNN) -- Mesmerized by giant waves approaching his
family's Thai beach resort, Christian Olsson's father called out to his son
to come and take a look.

Christian, 17, and his Swedish family had traveled to Khao Lak tourist
resort to escape the bitter Scandinavian winter.

They had joined several tourists standing on the beach on December 26,
watching the unusual phenomenon that appeared to be miles out to sea.

"My dad knocked on the door and said, 'Come and look at the cool waves,'"
Christian recalls.

He says that when he arrived at the beach, everyone was standing there with
their cameras and video cameras, filming the waves and not realizing what
was to follow.

But by the time the waves were just 200 meters from the beach and the
tourists realized the water was racing towards them at a ferocious speed, it
was too late.

Seconds later Christian lost five of his family members -- his mother,
father, grandmother, cousin and aunt.

http://www.suntimes.co.za/zones/sundaytimesNEW/topstories/topstories11042105
53.aspx

and

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/041227/1/3pi86.html  (widely published)

In the worst-hit Indian state Tamil Nadu, fisherman A. Ravi wept as he
recalled watching his family, including four children, swept away as his
village was flattened.

"We went fishing in the early morning and a few hours later the water
started swirling around us and suddenly the level went down so sharply we
could see the seabed," said Ravi.

"Then I saw a huge sheet of water going towards the shore... when I got back
I found my village under water and my family gone," he said.

-----------

As Thailand mobilised its army and navy in a huge rescue operation, dazed
foreigners began flying home - still struggling to come to grips with what
had happened. Just before the first wave struck, "there was no water left in
the ocean. The fish were just flapping and dying on the beach," Danish
tourist Svend Falk-Roenne, 52, told AFP in Bangkok on his way home from
Phuket.

"Then the wave just came towards us. I've never seen anything like it."

AP/ ABC news story:  http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=362437

The tsunamis came without warning. Witnesses said sea waters at first
retreated far out into the ocean, only to return at a vicious pace. Some
regions reported a crashing wall of water 20 feet high.

"The water went back, back, back, so far away, and everyone wondered what it
was a full moon or what? Then we saw the wave come, and we ran," said Katri
Seppanen, who was in Thailand, on Phuket island's popular Patong beach.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-12-27-tsunami_x.htm and
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142597,00.html  (From AP)

For most people around the shores across the region, the only warning Sunday
of the disaster came when shallow coastal waters disappeared, sucked away by
the approaching tsunami, before returning as a massive wall of water. The
waves wiped out villages, lifted cars and boats, yanked children from the
arms of parents and swept away beachgoers, scuba divers and fishermen.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,11808131%255E663,0
0.html

In this case, it was Karl Nilsson, seen yesterday on a street corner in
Phuket clutching a sign appealing for information about his Swedish parents,
who were swept away in Sunday's deadly tsunami.

Among the Western tourists thought to account for about 20 per cent of
casualties on southeast Thailand's devastated holiday coast and islands,
northern Europeans suffered most.

No one can yet say just how many children have been lost or orphaned. But
witnesses tell of curious village youngsters venturing out to collect
sea-shells when the ocean retreated and great waves thundered towards shore.

Many missing children were ripped from a parent's grasp by the brutal force
of the waves.

The grim picture walls of the makeshift information centre in Phuket bear
witness to the terrible toll among children.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/tsunami04e.htm

The first sign from land of a tsunami is that water is sucked away from the
beach. In some areas, this tsunami exposed the ocean bottom near the shore,
stranding fish. Many villagers rushed to collect the fish, were hit by the
sea surge, and killed.

http://www.phuket.com/phuket-status.htm

Many people died at Kamala, and accurate figures are not yet available. Thai
locals and some tourists, seeing the tide go out over three hundred metres
very quickly, ran onto the beach with buckets to collect the fish that were
flopping around on the sand. Though the wave did not come for over fifteen
minutes, many were caught out on the sand when it did and were lost.

http://www.cdnn.info/industry/i050104a/i050104a.html

Other tales emerged last night of heroic acts involving Scots, including
John Chroston, 48, a mountain rescue volunteer from Tillicoultry,
Clackmannanshire, whose reactions saved the lives of his wife, his daughter
and 15 fellow tourists caught up in the catastrophe.

Moments before the tsunami struck, Mr Chroston, a biology teacher, was
swimming in Kamala Bay, near Phuket in Thailand, as his family relaxed on
sun loungers, but he saw the warning signs as the water around him suddenly
disappeared, leaving boats marooned in the sand and fish gulping in the open
air.

As fellow tourists gazed in awe, wondering where the tide had gone, Mr
Chroston realised the beach was about to be struck by a tsunami and sprinted
across the bay towards his family, shouting for them and the other tourists
to run for high ground.

He said: "I consider myself relatively reserved, not prone to over-reaction,
but on that beach I left all my inhibitions behind as I ran shouting,
'Tsunami, tsunami' and telling everyone to run.

"People were just looking at me, wondering what was the problem as their
young children ran towards the stranded fish. But in the end I managed to
clear a number of people from the beach."

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin,
villandra@austin.rr.com