From: <MariusRomanus@aol.com>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: Tsunami food for thought

> > Didn't the Minoans last several hundred years longer? --Thera/Santorini
did explode at that time, but it wasn't as huge an explosion as used to be
thought. It was already a seawater-filled caldera before that time. I saw a
documentary about this on TV some years ago. <

> Yes, that was once the thinking. However, research has shown that the
Minoans only lasted about 50 years after Santorini did its thing. Every
generation, pottery styles change. The Minoan style only changed once after
the devastation. Evidence now points to war, probably invading Greeks due to
the weakened state of the Minoans (they lost all their navy and trading
ports due to the volcano), finally delivered the final blow. It's
interesting to note that no volcanic casualties have ever been found, like
those at Pompeii. Bodies that have been unearthed were the products of the
war mentioned above (buried with weapons, etc). Ash and pumice fall effected
the highlands on Crete, where the palace and bulk of the city was located.
This also would have caused the survivors to be plagued years later by a
particular form of cancer caused by the inhaling of volcanic ash. The
tsunami only erased all those settled along the shores (vital
shipping/trading ports, and the navy, which looks like to
>  have had its main base on Santorini). And yes, Thera, b eing a marine
volcano (deadliest out there due to their powerfully explosive natures) was
already in a state much like it resembles today, however, the central
caldera was ringed by the sea, not completely flooded byt it. The final
explosion brought an end to that, collapsing the walls and spilling water
directly into the central magma chamber. Dives into the lagoon have finally
been done to confirm the extent of the fracturing of the caldera and current
rim, and allowing for direct sampling of the lava to gain proper insight
into the chemical evolution of the eruption. One hell of a steam bomb if
there ever was one. It's now been calculated that 30-40 cubic kilometers of
magma were let loose all at once into the sea... It was the largest
explosion ever witnessed, definitely many times more powerful that Krakatau.
How the volcano looks today (two vents with lava dome, made up of two
central islands), is a product of subsequent