Re: Megalosaur femora (was RE: New Megalosaurus paper)

In case anyone is interested, Moser (2003) concluded that the variability in the shape of plateosaur femora (straight vs sigmoidal shafts) at Trossingen was due to taphonomy/diagenesis. Therefore, the relative straightness of the femoral shaft could not be used to separate different prosauropod species (contra Weishampel & Chapman 1990; Galton, 2000, 2001). Moser refers both straight- and sigmoidal-shafted femora to _Plateosaurus engelhardti_.

Reference:

Moser, M. (2003). _Plateosaurus engelhardti_ Meyer, 1837 (Dinosauria: Sauropodomorpha) aus dem Feuerletten (Mittelkeuper; Obertrias) von Bayern. Zitteliana B 24: 3-186.

I wonder what impact this study might have on Day and Barrett's (2004) study on the Stonesfield Slate megalosaur material. Day and Barrett sort the femora into "straight" and "sigmoidal" morphotypes, and therefore recognize two separate theropod taxa. But maybe (and I stress MAYBE) the difference is likewise taphonomic, as with the Trossingen plateosaur femora.