RE: Condorraptor and Middle Jurassic Avialans

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

Rauhut, 2005. Osteology and relationships of a new theropod dinosaur from
the Middle Jurassic of Patagonia. Palaeontology. 48(1), 87-110.

Rauhut originally mentioned this taxon at SVP 2002-
http://dml.cmnh.org/2002Oct/msg00326.html . I've previously noted the
absence of posterior tibial incisions in "Allosaurus" tendagurensis,
seemingly a tetanurine due to the distally placed fibular crest. As I note
in the SVP details page, it may be related. Rauhut presents no explicit
phylogeny in the published paper, merely saying Condorraptor is a tetanurine
more basal than Spinosauroidea and Avetheropoda, in the same grade as
"Szechuanoraptor" and Xuanhanosaurus. Pdf's are available.

The study also reminded me just how many ceratosaurs and basal tetanurines are in need of new genus names: "Syntarsus" kayentakatae, "Megalosaurus" hesperis, "Szechuanosaurus" zigongensis, "Dilophosaurus" sinensis, "Poekilopleuron" valesdunensis, maybe "Megalosaurus" cambrensis and "Liliensternus" airelensis (if either are valid). There's also "Chilantaisaurus" maortuensis, which belongs higher up in theropod phylogeny (the type species for _Chilantaisaurus_ appears to be a basal tetanurine. I know new names are in the pipeline for some of these taxa. (BTW, this is not an open invitation to name these taxa; this is best left to the experts - i.e., those who have examined the material, and know what they're doing [for the most part].)

Rauhut (2004) also mentions that the theropod identity of the Aussie taxon _Ozraptor subatoii_ is disputed (Molnar, pers. comm. to Rauhut). If so, Molnar must have changed his mind since 1998. Unfortunately, there isn't much to go on; just a lonely piece of tibia.

Tim