Re: Need something to mount a coupla little fossils

Heat-curing "clay" is your answer.  Mold/carve-out the mount; test it for
fit; pop the carved clay in the oven; cure it at the specified
temperature, and voila, a hard, relatively durable mount.  I once made a
pedestal mount for a large fossil tooth out of heat-cured clay.  I
sculpted three prongs that secured the base of the tooth.  I made the
base of the mount wide enough so that it couldn't tip over.  Cut the four
corners of the mount base with a razor blade.

I believe the clay goes under the brand name "Sculpie" or "Sculpy".  It
is sold in tiny little bricks at places like Wally World.  It comes in
many different colors.   It is very fun to work with, shrinkage is
minimal, and if you can visualize it in 3D, then you can make it with
Sculpie.  The durability of the oven cured "clay" (it isn't a real clay)
is a bit more durable than terra cotta.  I have prototyped all kinds of
things using this type of clay.

<pb>