RE: Articles on Dilong and "a hobbit" in the 21. Century magazine

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Richard W. Travsky
>
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. wrote:
> > > From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> > > Vladimír Socha
> > > [...]
> > > Of course the size of a brain is not equal to its abilities, but
> > > still...how could it created float to
> > > get to the island, when even H. erectus with the braincase volume around
> > > 700-1250 ccm was unable of such thing (AFAWK).
> >
> > Well, lots of animals float by accident to islands.
>
> But we need enough for a breeding population and for something like an animal
> like a
> primate this requires many such accidents (as opposed to say, a lizard).

In principle all you needed was a female pregnant with a male embryo, and
you're there.  But in all likelihood it would have to be
multiple events. Of course, it isn't as if Greater Flores was 1000 km away from
the nearest part of the Pleistocene mainland, just a
few 10s of kms (if that!), and it isn't as if that part of the world isn't
subject to tsunamis and typhoons that might regularly
produce rafting events.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
        Mailing Address: