Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, David Marjanovic wrote:

> It's true that they refute Feduccia's extreme version. Fossil evidence for a
> diversification of Neoaves in the K is however still lacking, as the article
> itself stresses.

"Extreme version"????  What else should you expect from the extreme
version of extinctions around the K/T?

Birds should have been affected as badly as non-avian dinosaurs.  The more
species we find that are ancestral to extant species, the less support
there is for an instantaneous, all-encompassing catastrophe.