Re: looking for a primitive varanid

In a message dated 1/20/2005 5:20:44 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
davidrpeters@earthlink.net writes:

<< Mosasaurs and  their predecessors would seem to be derived from
Varanus-types, because they  have legs, but Varanus apparently has fewer and
looser bone
connections in the  skull. >>

I'm way behind in this stuff, but I  believe varanids are out of the picture
as far as mosasaurs are concerned.  Hopefully someone has something more
recent, but these two refs are at least a  start.

http://www2.nature.nps.gov/geology/paleontology//pub/grd2/gsa07.htm

http://www.vertpaleo.org/jvp/15-516-531.html