Re: P/T extinction linked to global warming

This is very interesting information.   But while it is important to prove
there was a long period of global warming, I do not think that that alone
proves what caused the global warming.

I believe that I have seen this theory argued in conjunction with the notion
that the Siberian Traps caused the extinction.   The people who discussed
this theory on Discover channel or PBS or BBC, presented a long complex
chain reaction of events that among other things caused a long period of
global warming.

I have seen good arguments for both an asteroid and the whatever is in the
Indian mountain traps eruption as causes of the end-Cretaceous extinction.
Both theories essentially rest on the same set of explanations; a prolonged
cold and dark period and a prolonged period of global warming in addition to
whatever immediate environmental catastrophe there was.

 I am getting the idea that a large meteorite and a particularly violent
volcanic eruption could have similar effects on the environment.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra@austin.rr.com