Re: Who put the anus in zhaoianus?

david.marjanovic@gmx.at schrieb am 21.01.05 21:32:52:

DM: >>>It's an attempt of making an adjective of Mr. Zhao. The idea is to make
the name mean "the Zhao *Microraptor*", like "the Church-Gilbert hybridisation
buffer" or "the Carter doctrine"; and in Latin you can't simply put two
nouns next to each other to get this effect like you can in English.<<<

MM: >>On the contrary, the latter is a quite common case: It's a "noun in
apposition".<<

DM: >The outcome is not the same. By the rules of English, you'd expect
*Tyrannosaurus rex* to mean "the tyrannosaur king". It doesn't. It means
"*T.*, the king".<

I agree, there is a difference. One could exchange "Carter doctrine" with
"Carters' doctrine" or "Carterian doctrine" or "doctrine of Carter", but not
translate T rex with "the tyrannosaurs' king" (king of the tyrannosaurs). But
then the "Carter doctrine" is not composed of two nouns in nominative case but
of a nominative noun and a culled adjective (or a hidden genitive noun).
English examples for true nouns in apposition are e.g. "William the Conqueror
lived at ... " - "The musician Mozart was born in ..." [o.k. this is an
Austrian example. - Darn, I seem not be able to find an example without a
persons name involved]

However, T rex means "tyrant lizard [the] king" (or "king [the] tyrant lizard"
- word order is interchangeable without change of meaning) or - at the first
look it seems odd - "kingly tyrant lizard" (or "tyrant-lizardly king").
Philosophy shows, that nouns [excluding Eigennamen], adjectives, adverbs, and
verbs are all the same kind of thing, called predicator, and are
interchangeable. So it makes no difference if you combine two nouns or a noun
and an adjective or even change the roles of adjective, verb, and noun, e. g.
the walking male = the male walker, the red house = the housy red. You
translated "*T. rex*" partially to "*T.*, the king", in which case you used
Tyrannosaurus not as a predicator but as an Eigenname, like "Gaius Julius", the
Caesar. For this there is, however, no reason to do so; you could equally argue
to translate T rex as "the tyrant lizard *Rex*" (= "*Rex*, the tyrant lizard"),
which would be incorrect either.

There is a number of Latin words, that can be regarded either as adjectives or
as nouns in apposition (cf. Art.31.2.2.), which can produce the same effect as
in English "the Carter doctrine", e.g. in the hummingbird *Calothorax lucifer*
which could be translated as lightbearing beauty-chest or  as beauty-chest
[the] lightbearer. (btw, "Lucifer" could also be misused here as Eigenname,
which would change the meaning considerably).

> > - the personal name ends in two vowels and adding a third one is not
> > euphonious ["zhaoi" vs "zhaoianus": the inserted "i" is a consonant like
> > "j"]
>
> Of course whether something is euphonious is subjective to some degree...
> I'd just like to mention that Zhao is one syllable, not two (that's why this
> name appears as "Chow" in some older transcriptions), and that I wouldn't
> get the idea of not pronouncing the -i- in question as a full-grown vowel
> (but this could easily be a matter of southern, including Austrian, and
> central + northern _German_).

Well, there are quite a number of species names ending only -anus. Many end
-ianus, and there may be two reasons to insert the -i- before -anus. One may be
euphony as discussed above, and the other that respectful authors will only use
"-ianus" rather than "-anus" to suffix a person's name to avoid offence. A
famous negative example is "copeanus" - Cope ass - in which case we can be sure
this was devised by Marsh not really as an adjectivized name but anus as a noun
in uncloaked apposition.

MM >> Tyrannosaurus rex and Edmarka rex for example. "rex" remains unchanged
even if combined with a generic name of female gender.<<

DM > (Actually... I should have thought of this 10 years ago... *Edmarka* and
*Othnielia* can be queens, but they can hardly be kings. <

This was discussed 10 years ago on this list (search for "other rexes").

DM > They should end in *regina*, not *rex*. The 1999 edition of the ICZN
certainly doesn't care,
though, and probably the earlier ones don't either.) <

rex, regis is male (and only male). regina is another word. [May I speculate it
is derived from regi-[a]nus, regi-[a]na, regi-[a]num? Oh, well ...]

All the best

Dr. Markus Moser
Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde Stuttgart
Museum am Loewentor (= Rosenstein 1)
D-70191 Stuttgart
Germany