Re: Who put the anus in zhaoianus?

But then the "Carter doctrine" is not composed of two nouns in nominative case but of a nominative noun and a culled adjective (or a hidden genitive noun).

(Or a prefix.)

You translated "*T. rex*" partially to "*T.*, the king", in which case you used Tyrannosaurus not as a predicator but as an Eigenname, like "Gaius Julius", the Caesar. For this there is, however, no reason to do so; you could equally argue to translate T rex as "the tyrant lizard *Rex*" (= "*Rex*, the tyrant lizard"), which would be incorrect either.

The reason for why I did so is that *Tyrannosaurus* is a genus name and *rex* a specific epithet. On the species level, genus names _are_ proper names, even though they aren't on their own level. ~:-)

DM > They should end in *regina*, not *rex*. The 1999 edition of the ICZN
certainly doesn't care, though, and probably the earlier ones don't either.) <

rex, regis is male (and only male). regina is another word.

Yes, and this different word should have been used in those cases...

[May I speculate it is derived from regi-[a]nus, regi-[a]na, regi-[a]num? Oh, well ...]

(My old Latin dictionary had an intimidating large chapter on etymology which explained where -ianus came from -- stepwise. First there was just -nus, then -anus was interpreted as an endings (due to words like romanus) and appended to other words, some of which had an i in front of that...)