Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

I'd like to comment on the "dumb luck" matters idea.  If nothing else
(besides the absolute horror and terrible loss of humanity), the recent
tsunami should show the presence of dumb luck in a disaster.  You had
people, side-by-side, similar ages and physical conditions - one dies and
the other lives.  Just dumb (bad!) luck.  You had people swept out to sea
who survived for days hanging onto uprooting, floating palm trees; and
others who were killed when the room they were in was squashed by the mud
and water, several miles inland.

And yet, there was absolutely no filtering: _all_ species survived!

Oh please. That was just a magnitude 9 earthquake. The Chicxulub impact was equivalent to magnitude 11 to 13 -- that's 100 to 10,000 times as strong. I gather it means tsunamis with 100 to 10,000 times that energy.

IMHO, the variations in which terrestrial animals survived and which animals
didn't - which correspond with the extinction of sea creatures - large and
small (note that some obvious exceptions exist in this realm as well
[sharks, etc.]) - point to some sort of global scale disaster. Dumb luck
matters.

I don't know why. Most extinctions for which we have actual _evidence_ point to species' interactions.

Practically _all_ extinctions for which we have actual evidence have _humans_ involved. We haven't witnessed any _mass_ extinction so far.

I'm not sure that we _know_ of other
terrestrial genera that were affected.

Oh, plenty. In the Hell Creek Fm, stagodontids and "pediomyids" stop at the boundary, and so do glyphanodontid lizards.

Curry and others have commented on the _lack_ of obvious
differences from one horizon to the next, i.e., K--->T

Could you be more specific?