Re: Who put the anus in zhaoianus?

david.marjanovic@gmx.at wrote 22.01.05 20:16:58:

> The reason for why I did so is that *Tyrannosaurus* is a genus name and
> *rex* a specific epithet. On the species level, genus names _are_ proper
> names, even though they aren't on their own level. ~:-)

Any taxon name represents a large number of individuals, as such they are not
Eigennamen but nouns for a class of items with some shared characteristics, but
unlike 'house', which denotes a single such item out of all 'houses'.  The
White House is an Eigenname, although more White Houses exist and of course
many white houses. Tyrannosaurus is not this kind of name. Thus it is improper
to speak of Tyrannosauruses. Tyrannosaurus is the sum of all 'Tyrannosauruses',
the plural is inherent in the nominative singular word. And again, on the
species level: Tyrannosaurus rex is not The King.

> > DM > They should end in *regina*, not *rex*. The 1999 edition of the ICZN
> > certainly doesn't care, though, and probably the earlier ones don't
> > either.) <
> >
> > rex, regis is male (and only male). regina is another word.
>
> Yes, and this different word should have been used in those cases...

Othnielia rex formerly was Nanosaurus rex (male).
Edmarka is named after William Edmark (male) [and Othnielia after Charles
Othniel Marsh], so, if one follows your logic, "Edmarka rex" should have been
named Edmarkus rex in the first place.
Anyhow, the gender issue is a difficulty which is not felt in every culture the
same. Take for example the English "friend", which has variable gender, while
German Freund is strictly male (Freundin is female). Mrs. Thatcher was Prime
Minister (not Ministress). So, for our nomenclatural purposes, nouns in
apposition have no sex (which is what the ICZN cares about very well).

Kind regards

Dr. Markus Moser
Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde Stuttgart
Museum am Loewentor (= Rosenstein 1)
D-70191 Stuttgart
Germany