Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, David Marjanovic wrote:

> Oh please. That was just a magnitude 9 earthquake. The Chicxulub impact was
> equivalent to magnitude 11 to 13 -- that's 100 to 10,000 times as strong. I
> gather it means tsunamis with 100 to 10,000 times that energy.

I was commenting on the non-selective nature of a tsunami.
> > ...Most extinctions for which we have actual
> > _evidence_ point to species' interactions.
>
> Practically _all_ extinctions for which we have actual evidence have
> _humans_ involved. We haven't witnessed any _mass_ extinction so far.

If we're talking about island extinctions, humans are involved only
indirectly.  The dirty work is done by introduced mammals (usually).

> > Curry and others have commented on the _lack_ of obvious
> > differences from one horizon to the next, i.e., K--->T
>
> Could you be more specific?

I couldn't find the paper...it's in the archives, I know.  P. Currie is
one of the authors--title is something like "What Mass Extinction" or
"Extinction..Exminction".