Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Ronald Orenstein wrote:

> At 12:50 PM 1/24/2005, John Bois wrote:
> >If we're talking about island extinctions, humans are involved only
> >indirectly.  The dirty work is done by introduced mammals (usually).
>
> Well, I think this is an unwarranted generalization.

My comment, perhaps too categorical, was informed by the the recent
Blackburn _et al_ paper _Avian
Extinctions and Mammalian Introductions on Oceanic Islands_ Science Vol
305 pp1955-1958 which found island extinctions correlated with mammal
species introduced independent of island size.