Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

Thanks for the Currie ref!

However, we know that many island endemics perished after the arrival of humans but before the arrival of western scientists to record the details, so we don't really know exactly what did them in - but as many of these were large and/or flightless forms direct hunting seems not unlikely (moas are perhaps the best example).

Hunting and habitat destruction can assume extreme forms. Easter Island was once covered with a forest and had 6 endemic bird species (2 rails, 1 parrot, I forgot the rest). All gone.

As for "historical" extinctions, avian diseases are
probably responsible for most losses on Hawaii,

Interesting.