Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

David Marjanovic wrote-

> > Actually, how much do we know about
> > enantiornithine diversity at the KT?
>
> Very, very little. There's *Avisaurus* in the Hell Creek Fm, known from an
> isolated tarsometatarsus, and that was it... oh, there's something
somewhere
> in southern France, undescribed and probably somewhat older.

There's another juvenile specimen of Avisaurus known from there too
(Stidham, 1999).  Then from the Maastrichtian Lecho Formation, we have huge
Enantiornis, possibly wading Lectavis, Avisaurus-like Soroavisaurus,
possibly diving Yungavolucris, and a ton of isolated elements.  There are at
least three kinds of enantiornithines from the Maastrichtian Maevarano
Formation, including very small and moderately large ones.  From the Early
Maastrichtian, there's Gurilynia from the Nemegt and unnamed postcrania from
Cruzy, France.  So I see no evidence enantiornithines weren't diverse at the
KT, and see evidence to the contrary in fact.

Mickey Mortimer
Undergraduate, Earth and Space Sciences
University of Washington