Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

John Bois wrote:

> David Marjanovic wrote:
>
> > And then come the success stories of dromornithids,
>
> An argument can be made that the predatory regime was milder in Australia.
> Certainly, continental immigrants are currently kicking the home team's
> tail.

And yet emus are more abundant than ever. Of course, humans have been
kind enough to reduce dingo numbers in grazing areas (the same areas
emus love). I don't know if dingos are able to actually get into an emu
egg, but they'd certainly have a go at hatchlings and probably even
adult birds.  certainly bustards are adept at cracking emu eggs with
rocks.

As far as dromornithids were concerned, they had megalanids and
thylacoleos to contend with (the latter could be larger than a leopard),
and who knows how many diprotodontid species weren't afraid to raid the
occasional nest for added nutrients - expecially given the low quality
of Australian soils in general.

Dann Pigdon
Melbourne, Australia        http://heretichides.ravencommunity.net/