Re: Vegavis gen. nov. - new anseriform in today's Nature

John Bois wrote:

> I don't know why you're stuck on _competition_...as if there is a race off
> for every food morsel in the K.  If pterosaurs did decline (if!) as a
> result of species interactions, I would hypothesize that the predatory
> environment got more intense over the K as a result of adaptations of
> mammals and birds.  Some species were more able to withstand this
> environment, ptereosaurs weren't.

For those pterosaurs that were marine feeders, it would be very doubtful that
birds could effectively access their food supply, since birds don't appear to
have
been effective soarers at the time.

>  In this view, large body size has
> little to do with it--except that, large bodied pterosaurs were more
> likely to be able to nest in more remote locations..and that this
> afforded them some protection.

Well, large body size does imply heavier wing loading, which in turn implies
faster flight, which in turn implies being able to cover a larger area per unit
time in search of food.