Re: Hippo-whale paper

It's on PNAS, but it's hidden among the 'Early Edition' papers (in other
words, it's due to be published in a later number). You can access the
abstract (and a link to the pdf) at
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/0409518102v1

Boisserie, J.-R., F. Lihoreau & M. Brunet. The position of Hippopotamidae
within Cetartiodactyla.

"The origin of late Neogene Hippopotamidae (Artiodactyla) involves one of
the most serious conflicts between comparative anatomy and molecular
biology: is Artiodactyla paraphyletic? Molecular comparisons indicate that
Cetacea should be the modern sister group of hippos. This finding implies
the existence of a fossil lineage linking cetaceans (first known in the
early Eocene) to hippos (first known in the middle Miocene). The
relationships of hippos within Artiodactyla are challenging, and the
immediate affinities of Hippopotamidae have been studied by biologists for
almost two centuries without resolution. Here, we compare opposing
hypotheses implicating several "suiform" families. This morphological
analysis of a comprehensive set of taxa and characters offers a robust
solution to the origins of Hippopotamidae. This family appears to be deeply
nested within the otherwise extinct artiodactyl family Anthracotheriidae,
most precisely within the most advanced selenodont forms. The proposed
sister group of hippos is the middle to late Miocene African semiaquatic
Libycosaurus. Any close relationships of hippos with suoids, particularly
with Tayassuidae, are rejected. Furthermore, the clade (Hippopotamidae,
Anthracotheriidae) is proposed as the sister group of the Cetacea, offering
broad morphological support for a molecular phylogeny, such support being
also consistent with the fossil record. Corroboration of this relationship
requires an exploration of anthracothere affinities with other Paleogene
artiodactyls. Among those, the position of Ruminantia is a central question,
still to be solved. Further progress in this debate is likely to come from
morphological studies of paleontological data, whether known or still to be
discovered."

    Cheers,

        Christopher Taylor