RE: Repenomamus: Bible Story proved!

Tracy Ford (dino.hunter@cox.net) wrote:

<Well, how else would you call it? It is 'somehow' part or has been part
of human history (as seen from the Neanderthal burial sites) for more than
a million years. If not genetic, is it part of our 'souls'? (Or as some,
ah..., well, strange people, that it is part of a shared conscious and
some are more 'in tuned' than others?) Spirituality is a big part of human
history, whether God, nature, supernatural, etc. (I can't tell you how
many times a week I'm asked, what power does this rock have? I work in a
rock shop. And I want to tell them, NONE!!! It's all in your head. If that
stuff really worked we'd have world peace because everyone would be
walking around with a special ROCK in their pocket!!!)>

  Well, hmm ... logical constructs like stone tools are in human history
longer than _observed_ ritual practice, does this mean stone tool making
is genetic? To build sqare bricks and square things in multiple disparate
cultures a genetic thing, or something you just come to, or learn?

  I can argue that ritual IS learned because we are not born knowing about
death, the process of life, and what to do when it happens. That we learn
as we watch and observe other go through the process, or are told stories
to explain it. That's Religion. Ritual is how you practice it, as much as
bricklaying is how to lay a wall, yet wall laying isn't genetic, either.

<Or for many, some irrational/rational belief/need to believe in a higher
being (God, nature or otherwise). It is there/here, in all of us.>

  There is in many if not most of us a desire to have things explained to
us. It happens when we are very, very young, and have had things told to
us in how the world works. When our minds are malleable and
impressionable. What processes are there prior to imprinting and developed
thought is unknown, or even unknowable to most, simply because by the time
we are old enough TO understand, we've already adopted our parents or
siblings' views, or someone else's.

<Every have something strange happen to you and can't explain it? Like
what would have happened if you turned right instead of left?>

  That's what science is about, asking questions. Not assuming something
takes care of the answer (oh, God did it. Oh, it's genetic, you can't fix
it otherwise). Besides, Robert Frost wrote this beautiful poem about how
life is wha we make of it, by chosing one path other another. What if's
don't help us move forward, they just stifle what we go through by
slogging us down. When there ARE detours in life from what you PLANNED,
enjoy the adventure.

  As for berating people for beliefs, no. I refuse to. I don't know the
truth. The knowledge of the world is useless without the wisdom of its
application. Very few people know the extent of what I choose to believe
in, the level of my spirituality, or scientific knowledge, and many will
not because it's not important to them, just to me. But what I disagree
with is using a scientific premise as the only refutation for a spiritual,
non-scientific one, so as to deny the existence of a higher power or a
life after death, or an afterlife, or reincarnation, or whatever, because
for some reason all our existince and personality and minds are initially
genetic constructs, yet fail to find or define the genetic qualities. That
is an unscientific statement. That's what I was talking about.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden