Re: About abelisaurs

Just some of my random speculations:
Slender, "weakly built" jaws might not necessairly
mean they were not used to attack.  Big strong jaws
would be necessary if a predator wanted to grab its
prey in its mouth and not let go (i.e. crocodiles,
maybe _T. rex_).  Slender jaws would be fine if the
predator was only rushing it and biting off pieces of
flesh without "latching on" to its prey.  To use your
own comparison--like a pirrannah. A pirrannah rushes
in and removes a mouthfull of flesh.  A Carnotaurus
might have rushed in and bit off a chunk of
meat,repeated if necessary, then waited for the victim
to die from blood loss and shock (a school of
pirrannah-like carnotauri?).
Jumping would be an option, but I'd want to
investigate the hindlimbs and spine in more depth to
see if they could have generated the power necessary
and/or be able to withstand the stress of such a
pounce (in any case, jumping to attack the neck or
flank of a fully-grown sauropod seems awfly risky--and
predators tend to prefer an easy meal)

Maybe they were scavengers...  ;)

We should probably establish that any hunting or
feeding strategy for carnotaurus may not necessairly
be indicative of abelisaurs as a whole.  Just a wild
guess here, but wouldn't carnotaurus's puny arms be a
more "derived' characteristic?

Eric Allen
Undergraduate, TTU