Re: About abelisaurs

As I'm trying to figure out the likely methods of attack various
lineages of theropods may have used, I find myself contemplating on the
the abelisaurs. I've read that the lower jaw of at least Carnotaurus
seems 'weakly' built with more slender than usual teeth. To me, it
would seem that the jaws may not have been the best method of attack.

They weren't suited for breaking bones the way tyrannosaur jaws were. This leaves other possibilities.

But the arms are atrophied as if attempting to make a two-legged snake.
.
Which brings me to the feet. Noting the strange structure of the
foremost caudal vertebra, perhaps this may have been  an adaptation to
balancing on the tail while striking with the toe claws. . Are toe
claws known for abelisaurs?

All are known for *Aucasaurus*. They are quite small. Probably they were used like the claws of cheetahs and the spikes on racing car tyres.

Also, I've noticed that the cranial morphology of
abelisaurs(Carnotaurus at least), compared to all other predators in
the animal kingdom, most closely resembles piranhas[albeit
superficially]. .
Thoughts?

I think piranhas just have short, high skulls because they are altogether short and high.

BTW, watching the Alpha's Egg episode of Dinosaur Planet, did anyone
else notice that they had Carcharodontosaurs attacking the sauropods in
South America? Last I checked, Carcharodontosaurus is from Africa,
Giganotosaurus is from South America. LOL

*Giganotosaurus* is a carcharodontosaurid.

It wasn't the one shown, though; for that it lived much too early (Early Cretaceous). What was shown was the famous undescribed Late Cretaceous carcharodontosaurid that is known from lots of specimens which were found in 1998.