Re: *Brachiosaurus* labyrinth paper...

However, his method (actually Preuschoft's)

Yep -- Preuschoft, no later than 1976. <rant>In German, in a ?journal called (translated) "Essays and speeches of the Nature-Researching Society of Senckenberg", so it was probably published irregulary. In other words, hardly anyone can ever have read it.</rant>

depends on what seems like
a very questionable assumption, namely that the habitual posture of an
animal's neck is the one that most nearly equalises the stress exerted
on the intervertebral discs.  I can't for the life of me see why this
should be true.  If a useful posture entails more stress on
intervertebral joint A than on B, the animal is hardly likely for that
reason to favour a posture in which the stress on B is _increased_ to
match that on A.

Surely the assumption is that the habitual posture should be the one with minimal stress everywhere? At least that's how I read Christian & Heinrich 1998.

To be fair to Christian 2002,
though, it does apply the method to a couple of extant critters

Giraffe, camel.

"In the late 40s, it was felt by some academics that Britain
would need 3 or 4 computers, and the US 6 or 7.  Unbelievable
but true.  Those early computer pioneers certainly were morons"
-- Andrew Brand.

Obviously they believed computers would only be used as supercomputers. They just failed to anticipate Moore's Law.