why 'Martians' should be bipeds (some WoW spoiler)

Don't read further if you haven't seen and want to see War of the Worlds.

Back in the late 80s I wrote a book detailing the evolution of humans from
bacteria to worms, to fishy vertebrates through the primates and the rest.
During the course I learned about what characters the synapsids bequeathed to
us, why we have a plate separating our eyeballs from our jaw muscles, and how
the cough originated.

So it was with a curious eye that I gazed upon the 'Martians' in War of the
Worlds. I'll only cover two topics.

They were naked and quadrupedal, in the manner of lemurs and monkeys.

In human ancestors, standing upright freed our hands to do other things,
specifically to carry things, like bananas and prey. Before long we were
fashioning stone into tools and weapons; vines and sinew into string and rope;
skins and leaves into garments and adornments. This led to trade, greed,
invention, the moon landing and MTV. So quadrupedal aliens in hi-tech ware
doesn't cut it for me.

Second, clothes give you one thing that nudity can't offer: pockets -- again to
carry things in, be they weapons, medicines or translation guides. No wonder
the aliens caught 'colds'. They were unprotected and apparently naive about
life's littlest denizens. Even in the late 60s we were cautious enough to
quarantine our astronauts (with pockets) even when we thought the threat of
disease was nil.

Still, the special effects are breath-taking. Not sure what the red roots were
all about, nor all the red fluids.

David Peters
St. Louis

PS. Do you think they'll ever do an invasion movie where the aliens want our
gold, want to force us to their religion and we give them syphyllis?