Re: Europa Dope (Re: why 'Martians' should be bipeds...)

Yes, I do have a question for the list:  What is the current opinion on
the monophyly of all Earth life?

It's well established on the basis of the "universal" genetic code shared virtually by all life forms - the exceptions are, as far as we can infer, theme variations. The genetic sequences similarity and differences pattern support this view too.

Yes. In addition, there are always the same 4 bases and always the same 20 to 22 amino acids without an adaptive reason for why this should be. Most cell membranes are basically identical, most sugars used are identical, plenty of slowly-evolving genes and proteins are demonstrably homologous from birds (dinosaurs! There -- I said it!) to bacteria...