Re: Europa Dope

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 11:26:19 +0200 David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> writes:
> > Ahhh, but in order to make such a claim, you *must* assume that
> there is
> > more than one possible biochemical pathway for carbon-based life
> to form.

> Why shouldn't I?

Because you are looking at the problem from an Earth-centric perspective.
 Totally unavoidable, I realize, but studying Earth life may not be the
best method to find out if there is more than one pathway for life to
form.

With only *one* datum point currently available to us, almost any
assumption we make is a dangerous one.

It is entirely possible that the genetic structure of all life in the
universe looks pretty much the same, perhaps because only certain amino
acids work (or are vastly more efficient than the other possibilities),
and only a certain structure of the chain works.  All other "experiments"
fail.

And if the genetic composition and structure of extraterrestrial life
looks basically the same, then the morphology of those creatures would
look roughly the same too.

<pb>