Re: where have all the etc.[Pharris]

Nick Pharris wrote:

Cladograms need to be constantly tested through addition of new
characters to
see if they are congruent with the ones used previously.  Extraordinary
claims
require extraordinary evidence; it is incumbent on you, who delight in
making
extraordinary claims, to demonstrate that "your" characters outweigh
"their"
characters in a phylogenetic analysis.  And there is no way to do that
without
including all of "their" characters.

including taxa that others do, which character list shall we start with?
Name one and I'll satisfy your challenge.

Extraordinary claims? Hardly. You should know that this study repeats
the results of earlier work whenever similar taxa are employed. The only
time that novel results appear is when novel taxa are introduced. Often
the introduction of novel taxa takes the form of using species or
specimens rather than a priori suprageneric taxa. That's why the larger,
umbrella study has been necessary.

Case in point: The only time (tell me if I'm wrong) that lizards and
pteros both appeared together in a cladogram (Benton 1985) they showed
up as sister taxa.

Q: Why has this not been tested in later work? Why not by Benton?

A: A priori assumption and taxon exclusion.

The antorbital fenestra occurs three times within the Diapsida, not
once.

dp