Re: Good Colleges

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:19:06 -0400 Tyler Kerr <tylerkerr@comcast.net>
writes:

<<<I know that a paleontology program is rare, and in most cases one has
to major in biology or geology, and then take time in graduate school to
go into more detail. I'm entering my junior year of high school and I
need to be on the look out for good schools (yikes! Time flies!). Any
info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!>>>

Tyler,
The Society of Vertebrate Paleontology web page has information on how to
become a paleontologist, including (IIRC) a little information on
programs.

http://www.vertpaleo.org/

Regardless if the PhD school requires it or not, it will help you in the
long run if you have a strong background in biology AND geology.  A
friend of mine went the following route:

BS Geology (minor in biology) ----> MS in Biology (plus grad. classes in
sed. geology)---------------> PhD in Biology (anatomy dissertation)

BS = 4 years
MS = 2 - 3 years
PhD = 3 years - 5 years

My friend was in school until he was 34!   :-0

<pb>