Ref for biological species and genus

Sorry for the ignorant question.  I am looking for the definitive
reference for the the biological species concept (a population capable
of interbreeding to produce fertile offspring).  I understand that
this notion has been extended to define a "biological genus" as a
population capable of interbreeding to produce live offspring that may
not be capable of reproducing further -- is there a reference for
this, too?  Many thanks.

)_v__/\  "The pies and cakes a woman bakes // can make her fella tell
         'er that he loves her very much ...  So never underestimate a
         woman's touch!" -- from "Calamity Jane"