Re: Jane The juvy T. rex

I attended Paleofest at Burpee a couple of years ago, where I purchased a dandy replica of one of Jane's teeth, complete with root, molded with matrix. It looks like bonded bronze.

Below are my comparisons of this Jane replica with a replica of a large _Tyrannosaurus rex_ tooth with a complete root. All measurements are approximate. The two "diameter" quantities for each tooth were measured at the widest points.

Jane:   10.0cm x 2.0cm x 1.3cm; 20 serrations per cm
Other: 27.0cm x 5.5cm x 3.0cm; 15 serrations per cm

I would say that Jane's tooth looks very tyrannosaurid to me, though a bit more angular in cross section. I'm sure we'll learn a thing or two about _Tyrannosaurus_ ontogeny from this beautiful specimen.

And if you just can't WFTFP, see the illustration of Jane's skeleton at http://www.visitjane.com/media/janeskel.pdf . It is intended for children to color, but it should be generally correct.

--------
"Dino Guy" Ralph W. Miller III
proud member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology

Paleophilosophy 101:
"Some see a specimen that is half reconstructed; others see a specimen that is half genuine!"