Re: Killer Pterosaurs?

Hello,

I'm just a second(ish) year paleontology student transferring to the University of Alberta in September but I'd like to comment on this as my first contribution.

In my opinion, dinosaur species were less diverse than in previous times. They also were probably more specialized and had a limited scope of environmental potential...and while their ranges may have been large, a slight change would vastly limit those ranges and therefore constrict populations. This would mean that a combination of things, such as Angiosperms taking over traditional Gymnosperm environments, climate changes etc., would hit like the equivalent of a semi-truck running into an ant hill. This, of course, would be moving at a much slower pace but still effective all the same. Therefore, a single cause would not only be less likely, but would be almost impossible to locate and then prove. If what I've said is right (or even partly so), a combination of effects had primed the non-avian dinosaurs for the final KO punch from a celestial body.

Therefore, I suggest that even without knowledge of how pathology can move through a lineage, we can rule out any single disease carried by Pterosaurs or any other carriers as a main cause of extinction. It may have contributed to the demise of one or more lineage but is certainly not to blame. My personal opinion is that disease didn't wipe them out. I don't know much about pathological movement and infection, but I certainly can't think of any disease in modern times that could threaten to put an entire genus of animals to extinction, nevermind almost an entire Class.

Hope I didn't make an fool of myself there with misinformation and silly antics,

Steve