RE: Thoughts on Tanycolagreus

(after much head banging on the wall)

What we noted regarding Tany is that is most closest to Coelurus of all
theropods. Much of the speculation by individuals about the placement of
Tany as basal tyrannosaurid, etc., are based on no knowledge of what the
skull of Coelurus is like; I predict it will also have a deep max. There
is an erroneous assumption that deep max is a restricted character of
tyrannosaurids. However, I would challenge this. It does APPEAR that way
on a skull viewed in profile, but only because the bone is
foreshortened. Look at JUST the premax in profile (meaning viewed
oblique to the skull) and the body  of the premax is significantly
longer relative to height than in Tany.

Nothing was said in our paper about the referred caudals of
Stokesosaurus. All of the material of Tany was found together (as the
quarry map shows), thus there is no doubt of their association.

The height of the acromion of Coelurus is unknown because it is missing
(see p. 60 of The Carnivorous Dinosaurs), thus to state that Tany is
closer to tyrannosaurids, whereas Coelurus is not is totally
unwarranted.

I could go on, but this is enough for a start.

Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology
and Chief Preparator
Department of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205 USA

Ken.Carpenter@DMNS.org
ph: 303-370-6392/ or 6403
fx: 303-331-6492

for PDFs of my reprints, info about the Cedar Mtn. Project, etc. see:
for fun, see also:
http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter