Re: Sauropods Then and Now

This was one of the things of I was thinking of. But I was also thinking of the opinion occasionally expressed on the list, based (maybe) on new discoveries concerning sauropod neck mechanics, that dipoldocid necks might be used to slurp up aquatic vegetation while the animal stood on shore.

The problem I see with this is, diplodocid skulls are set at such a sharp angle
to the neck that if the distal portion of the neck is vertical (reaching down
into the water), the head is actually pointing backwards, flamingo-style. Possible, but it seems pretty awkward.

Nick Pharris
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan