Re: taxonomy is not stratigraphy (was Re: JVP 25(2): New Dinos, Birds, Discoveries)

On 7/13/05, don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Assuming titanotheres were selected for size by
> predation: is there a contemporaneous predator large
> enough to tackle them one on one? If not, this would
> support a pack strategy for a smaller top predator.

Not necessarily: there aren't any predators in Asia big enough to
tackle elephants, but that doesn't mean that tigers and bears hunt in
packs.

(Well, I guess humans are the top predator now, and we do hunt in
packs, but still--tigers and bears probably were not hunting in packs
earlier only to quit when humans came on the scene.)

--Mike Keesey