Re: taxonomy is not stratigraphy (was Re: JVP 25(2): New Dinos, Birds, Discoveries)

> >  Maybe. But, as Starkov noted, there is a
> correlation between the rise of
> >the largest sauropods and largest theropods,
> suggesting the latter became
> >bigger to overcome more massive prey.
>
> I haven't read any of Starkov's stuff, but I'm
> inferring from your statement
> that he is claiming that the largest sauropods
> co-existed with the largest
> theropods.  Although it's an intuitively attractive
> idea, I don't believe we
> have the data to back it up.  For example,
> _Tyrannosaurus_ was a very large
> theropod, but _Alamosaurus_ was not that impressive
> by sauropod standards.

Well now, that's not very nice. As it happens,
'Alamosaurus' was very large indeed, even for a
sauropod. I would go so far as to say 'Alamosaurus'
may have been the biggest North American sauropod ever
(my claim from SVP2004), certainly it gave all the
morrison sauropods a run for their money.

Denver

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com