Re: Tracks

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Simpson" <deathspresso@yahoo.com>
To: <Ken.Carpenter@dmns.org>; <uwrk2@yahoo.com>
Cc: <dinosaur@usc.edu>; <ferociousfightingdinosaurs@groups.msn.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 10:41 AM
Subject: Tracks

> Thank you Ken, the stuff you sent is exactly what I
> needed.
>
> To All.
>
> I'm wondering. Can any credence be given to any
> behavioral hypothesis regarding any dinosaur tracks?
> Such as, 'we can see here that this Theropod was
> attacking this creature', or 'this creature was
> clearly running from this creature'? Are there actual
> facts that can be gleaned or is it always going to be
> conjecture and imaginings in regards to behavior where
> dino tracks are concerned?
>
> Andrew Simpson

Hi!
Im currently helping as a volunteer with the excavations of a newly
discovered tracksite here in germany. We discovered more then 80 footprints
so far and there is no end in sight yet. The longest track clearly referable
to a single animal consists of more then 30 consecutive steps so far - we
havent found the end of that track yet either. Most of the tracks appear to
belong to an Iguanodontid. Apparently the trackmaker who left that long
track was accompanied by at least one much smaller animal of the same kind.
It looks pretty much like a mother or father who took one or more children
for a walk. The big trackmaker walked slowly in an almost straight line
while the smaller ones apparently "played" more or less close to the feet of
it's/their mother/father/herdmember/whatever. Sure, there are plenty of
other possible explanations for how the tracks may have been made, but they
all require more coincidence in order to explain the picture. An adult
taking children for a walk - that's what it looks like. Thats the most
simple explanation for the picture.
Greetings!
Torsten van der Lubbe